Kachul area
Overall information
Kachul is an area within the middle course of the Veleka River which is very close to Malko Tarnovo – Tsarevo main road. The distance to the district center in Burgas is 80 km /via the village of Gramatikovo/, to the municipal center in Malko Tarnovo – 19 km and there are only 6 km to the closest populated settlement – the village of Gramatikovo. It is named after the upland of the peak that opens a stunning panoramic view to the local surroundings.
Info about Gramatikovo
The largest Strandzha village with a population of over 1000 people is situated only 34 km south of Tsarevo. There are several legends how Gramatikovo was founded. Despite their plot being different all of them refer the foundation of tenhe village to the medieval intellectuals – monks from the local monasteries or writers or theologians who accompanied the famous Bulgarian patriarch on his road to his exile in Asia where he was sent by the Turks after they had conquered and fired Veliko Tarnovo in 1393. Undoubtedly, the education of those first settlers was quite impressive to give the name of the village  ("gramatik" means a man of grammar). There are numerous archeological artifacts among which of greater interest are the ancient mine facilities  (over 100) and the abundant traces of a closed metallurgic cycle which come to show that territory of the village was populated back in most ancient times. Another very interesting site is the monastery of “Sveta Troitsa” (Holy Trinity) which was found after a miraculous dream, hidden in the centuries-old forest in the area known as Malkata Kotvina. The oldest church in Gramatikovo - "Sv. 40 machenitsi" (Forty Holy Martyrs) dates back in XVIII AD. It was fired by the Circassians  in 1877.  Later it was restored after the Liberation. After some time a stone bell tower – memorial with black marble plaque was built on which were inscribed the names of those who had died during the Balkan and the First World wars. In the XIX c. there was a monastery school in Gramatikovo. Since 1936 the village has become the seat of the Forestry Board in which many renowned Bulgarian foresters have worked. Several tests have been made along the Veleka River valley to introduce some valuable industrial plants, such as the eucalyptus and the bamboo.